Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hope For The Elderly

 
Hope for the Elderly is an entirely volunteer, community run non-profit that helps care for elders who are considered 'destitute' in the Adigrat area of Ethiopia.   It was organized by a small local group of volunteers, is a membership based non-profit and is open to anybody who is interested in creating a difference in the lives of the elderly.

Let me first say that I already love all of the above about Hope for the Elderly because it exhibits both a  strong culture  and an  inclusive culture .   It also allows for them to capitalize on good will wherever they find it.

Hope For The Elderly consulted with the elderly community in Adigrat to determine  what was most needed  in their view.  Participants clarified that what they were looking for was not a welfare system.   They want an  environment that is more conducive to the elderly being able to help their own selves .  They identified several things that needed to happen in order to feel enabled, which included:
  • Basic business training on different business areas (sic)
  • Minimum cost for medical expenses and sanitation materials and above all
  • The government and the community changing their attitude regarding the elderly
  • Credit and work places from the government ( I'm not entirely sure what this means, access to credit from banks and work opportunities with the gov't perhaps?  I intend to clarify some of these details when I arrive in Adigrat )
English is not the first language in the community so little bits and pieces of information are being lost in translation, no doubt.   I'm very curious to learn more about how they are going about challenging perceptions and attitudes towards the elderly .   It is interesting to me that they've identified it as something of a root cause of some of the troubles facing the elderly.   I'll let you know what I find out about their work when I visit with them next month

Photo credit: Hope For The Elderly
Hope For The Elderly is planning on opening a old age centre  in Adigrat in order to provide a place for  learning ,  activity  and a  hot meal .

I'm under the impression that they already organize  volunteers to care for and visit some of the impoverished elderly  where they reside.

I personally have just recently learned of this organization and the young man from Adigrat who started it.   I'm really impressed with the stated mission and vision of the organization and I'm looking forward to learning more about them when I arrive.

I do want to speak to some of the recipients of aid in the community and also clarify some things about Hope for the Elderly before 100% committing to supporting them, but  I am optimistic that I will be satisfied by the findings, so I am going prepared to support them .   They do have a list of things that the impoverished elderly are in need of in the community, such as; reading glasses, blankets, and games that are appropriate for seniors.

Adigrat is the second largest city in Ethiopia’s northernmost province, Tigray, with a population of around 130,000.  Tigray is one of the most rural regions in Ethiopia, with just over  80% of the population residing in rural areas . If you are not fortunate to have children who are able to care for you, the  agricultural life can become very difficult .   

 My personal experience throughout the time I've spent in Ethiopia is that there is a real respect for those who are privileged enough to grow old.   Life expectancy has increased in the last few years but currently rests at 59 years old.   I love the way the elderly are valued and respected (although not seen as suited for work, as noted above) and it makes sense to me that out of this respectful and appreciative environment a community run organization like Hope for the Elderly would be born. 
 
If the work of Hope For the Elderly  resonates with you  and you have an idea of a way you would like to show your support,  let me know !   I'll be happy to help arrange things.   If you want to donate blankets or glasses - the best practice would be for me to purchase these items in Ethiopia (that way the money used to support this noble effort also goes back into the local economy) but if you have a small quantity of quality items for the elderly, I can arrange to take them with me.

Photo Credit: Hope For The Elderly

Peace to you, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment